Phone: (307) 634-7723
Fax: (307) 634-0985
Mr. Tyler J. Garrett represents clients in diverse areas, from litigation to business deals. His appellate practice, for instance, provides focused representation before courts that will be making the final decision in a case. Tyler’s command of appeals before the Wyoming Supreme Court is consistently sought by his clients, as well as other attorneys seeking effective appellate counsel. He served as a staff attorney for Justice Michael K. Davis of the Wyoming Supreme Court, drafting over fifty opinions during his tenure. Before that, he served as a law clerk to Judge Terrence L. O’Brien of the United States Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit. Tyler’s publication on appeals is regularly relied upon in Wyoming Supreme Court opinions and cited throughout the Wyoming Rules of Appellate Procedure.
Tyler also represents clients in federal and state trial courts relating to a broad range of issues, from securities law to personal injury to constitutional issues. For example, he was involved in the representation of the issuer defendants in the “In re IPO Securities Litigation” – one of the largest securities class actions in the country.
Additionally, as an entrepreneur and business owner himself, Tyler understands companies’ legal needs and counsels them accordingly. He keeps on top of trends and new innovations in the law, and his pioneering thinking provides productive paths for his clients.
Estate Planning is also an area where Tyler focuses his practice. He provides essential services such as drafting wills, trusts, advance health care directives, and durable powers of attorney, which give clients peace of mind that their estate is secure and will be handled according to their wishes.
Tyler is also a law professor and legal scholar. He is a professor of legal writing at the University of Wyoming College of Law, a testament to his experience as well as his ability to fuel the forward thinking of next generation legal minds. He is a Pegasus Scholar, being one of two attorneys selected each year by the American Inns of Court for a fellowship in the United Kingdom to study in the English legal system. In recognition of his work as an attorney, Tyler has been selected as a rising star by Super Lawyers Magazine.
- Business & Corporate Law
- Emerging Companies & Technology
- Securities Law
- Real Estate Law
- Personal Injury & Product Liability
- Adjunct Professor, University of Wyoming College of Law, Laramie, Wyoming, 2015 – Present
- Staff Attorney, Wyoming Supreme Court, Cheyenne, Wyoming, Justice Michael K. Davis, 2014 – 2017; Justice Barton R. Voigt, 2013
- Scholar, Pegasus Fellowship, American Inns of Court – Pegasus Scholarship Trust, London, England, 2015
- Associate, Holland & Hart LLP, Cheyenne, Wyoming, 2011 – 2013; 2009 – 2010
- Law Clerk, United States Court of Appeals, Tenth Circuit, Cheyenne, Wyoming, Judge Terrence L. O’Brien, 2010 – 2011
- Associate, Jenner & Block LLP, Chicago, Illinois, 2006 – 2009
- J.D., The John Marshall Law School, 2006, cum laude
- B.S., Business Administration, Montana State University, 2002
Professional Leadership & Community Involvement
- Board Member, Climb Wyoming
- Mountain States Super Lawyers, Rising Star
- CLE Presenter, Equal Justice Wyoming
- CLE Presenter, Wyoming State Bar
- Owner, Rocking G Properties LLC
- Executive, Alexis Drake LLC
- Anatomy of a Wyoming Appeal: A Practitioner’s Guide in Civil Cases, 16 Wyo. L. Rev. 139 (2016)
- Pegasus Scholar Report, American Inns of Court (2015)
- Accountants, Consultants, Lawyers & Bankers Beware: Circuit Split Regarding Standards for Determining Primary Liability of Secondary Actors Under the Antifraud Provisions of the Federal Securities Laws, Financial Fraud Law Report (2009)
- Illinois (inactive)
- Wyoming Supreme Court
- Illinois Supreme Court
- Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit
- Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- District of Wyoming
- District Court for the Northern District of Illinois