JoAnna DeWald, Of Counsel at Hathaway & Kunz, practices in the areas of commercial litigation (including appeals), natural resource litigation, and regulatory matters.
In both state and federal court, as well as mediation and arbitration, JoAnna brings considerable expertise to complex commercial disputes involving breach of contract, regulatory compliance, personal injury, and employment issues.
She is known for her ability to provide efficient, effective solutions for her clients’ litigation and business needs; skillfully create remedies for natural resource and energy clients, corporations, and municipalities; and resolve her clients’ most complex issues in close connection with their business and value-focused goals.
JoAnna’s commercial litigation experience includes oil and gas disputes, personal injury suits across several industries, and high-stakes litigation concerning lease and contract interpretation. She has tried cases to verdict in both state and federal court (including multiple jury trials), handled state and federal appeals, argued numerous dispositive motions and discovery disputes, and managed on-the-ground emergency response and internal investigations.
Currently, JoAnna is admitted in the state and federal courts of Nebraska and Wyoming, as well as the Eighth and Tenth Circuit Courts of Appeal.
After graduating from the University of Nebraska School of Law with high honors, JoAnna served two years as a judicial clerk to Nebraska Supreme Court Justice Michael McCormack. She then moved on to begin her litigation career in Omaha, Nebraska. There, she defended professional malpractice claims, and litigated commercial torts, business disputes, and transportation issues. She then practiced in a national law firm in Wyoming. Immediately prior to joining Hathaway & Kunz, JoAnna served as in-house counsel for an interstate pipeline company where she handled commercial and regulatory matters.
In pursuit of her passion for diversity, equity, and inclusion, JoAnna actively works to address issues facing women in the legal profession, and strives to both create diverse teams and include diverse thinkers.
- Commercial and Business Disputes
- Construction Law
- Employment Law
- Environmental Law
- Oil & Gas Disputes
- Personal Injury Defense
- Regulatory Compliance
- Transportation Law
- Senior Attorney, BHE Pipeline Group, Omaha, NE
- Associate Attorney, Holland & Hart, LLP, Cheyenne, WY
- Associate Attorney, Lamson Dugan & Murray, LLP, Omaha, NE
- Judicial Clerk, Nebraska Supreme Court, Lincoln, NE
- University of Nebraska College of Law, J.D., 2010 with high honors
- The Order of The Barristers
- National Trial Team
- Moot Court
- New York University, BFA, 2006 with high honors
Professional Leadership and Community Involvement
- Defense Research Institute, Member
- Energy Bar Association, Member
- Federal Bar Section of the Wyoming State Bar, Board Member
- Nebraska State Bar Association, Energy Section Member
- Omaha Bar Association Young Lawyer’s Division, Founding Board Member
- Wyoming State Bar Association, DEI Section Member
Publications and Presentations
- “Harassment Prevention in the #MeToo Era: Best Practices and Scenarios,” Wyoming Department of Workforce Services, 2018 Safety & Workforce Summit, June 20, 2018
- The Emerging Dichotomy of the Educational Institution: Expression and Authority in Public Schools under Morse v. Frederick, 127 S. Ct. 2618 (2007), 88 Neb. L. Rev. (2009)
- Iowa (Inactive)
- Eighth Circuit Court of Appeals
- Nebraska Federal Court
- Nebraska State Court
- Tenth Circuit Court of Appeals
- Wyoming Federal Court
- Wyoming State Court