Phone: (307) 634-7723
Fax: (307) 634-0985
As a partner with Hathaway & Kunz, Mr. Kaufman’s practice centers on business, corporate, transactional, and litigation matters. He takes pride in counseling his clients with the highest level of responsiveness, diligence and legal expertise.
With an advanced LL.M. degree in entrepreneurial law, Mr. Kaufman is well-equipped to provide highly-skilled representation to entrepreneurs, start-ups and emerging companies—as well as established businesses and companies—on complex transactions and strategies. He routinely represents and advises clients on matters such as: entity formations, financing and operational issues, intellectual property protection, mergers and acquisitions, regulatory compliance, and contractual disputes. Mr. Kaufman is extensively involved in local and regional entrepreneurship, and particularly enjoys facilitating a start-up business’s development into a successful company.
He also has significant experience representing clients in litigation matters, routinely appearing before various state and federal courts in Wyoming, as well as the Wyoming Supreme Court.
Mr. Kaufman’s outstanding legal work has been recognized by both the National Trial Lawyers and the American Society of Legal Advocates, each naming him one of the Top 40 Under 40 in Wyoming. He has also been selected as a Rising Star in Business/Corporate Law by the Mountain States Super Lawyers.
- Business Law
- Corporate Law
- Emerging Companies
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Technology & Intellectual Property
- Energy Law
- Administrative & Government Relations
- Law Clerk, First Judicial District, State of Wyoming, 2005-2007
- Summer Associate, Cobeaga Tomlinson, LLP, Las Vegas, Nevada, 2004
- Law Clerk, Wyoming Public Service Commission, Cheyenne, Wyoming, 2003
- Legislative Aide/Intern, U.S. Senator Michael Enzi, Washington, D.C., 2002
Professional Leadership & Community Involvement
- Leadership Wyoming, Class of 2015
- Past President, Wyoming Federalist Society
- Wyoming State Bar, Young Lawyers, Executive Committee (past member)
- Guest Lecturer, University of Wyoming College of Business
- National Trial Lawyers, Top 40 Under 40 in Wyoming
- American Society of Legal Advocates, Top 40 Under 40 in Wyoming
- Mountain States Super Lawyers, Rising Star 2012-2015
- National Trial Lawyers, National Top 100 Civil Trial Lawyers of 2015
- LL.M., Entrepreneurial Law, University of Colorado, 2012
- J.D., University of Wyoming, 2005, Order of Barristers
- B.A., Political Science, Sociology, Criminal Justice, University of Wyoming, 2002
- Wyoming Supreme Court
- Colorado Supreme Court
- U.S. District of Wyoming
- U.S. District of Colorado
- If You Build It, Will They Come?: A Critical Look at the Policy Approach to Encouraging Entrepreneurship in Wyoming, Wyoming Law Review, 2013.
- The Next Generation Lawyer, Embracing Change, Creating Value, Wyoming Lawyer, June 2013.
- Representation of corporate client in $68 Million Dollar oil and gas asset divestiture.
- Co-lead counsel in $52 Million Dollar Telecom Merger.
- Lead counsel in $ 10 Million Dollar equity financing private placement.
- Lead counsel in formation of private investment fund.
- Lead counsel in various corporate acquisitions in industries ranging from transportation and construction to finance and technology.
- Obtained $1 Million Dollar Jury Verdict in Laramie County District Court.
- Successful representation of Plaintiff in shareholder derivative action.
- Completion of numerous private placement and equity transactions on behalf of start-up and emerging companies.
- Lead counsel in successful defense of corporate veil piercing action.
- Lead and co-counsel in numerous bench and jury trials.
- The Intersection of Innovation and The Law
- If You Build It, Will They Come?: A Critical Look at the Policy Approach to Encouraging Entrepreneurship in Wyoming
Wyoming Law Review
13 Wyo. L. Rev. 615 (2013)
- Matthew D. Kaufman and Lucas Buckley
The Next Generation Lawyer: Embracing Change, Creating Value
The Wyoming Lawyer, pp. 36-39